Appendix II – Casualties by Rank & Regiment
The regiments/units listed are those with whom the deceased was serving, or attached to, at the date of death and in the rank shown.
i. These OW’s have yet to be formerly located on the official War Office records of the period and in the case of 1/Lt J. Robinson, [listed in the school archives as having served with The Prince of Wales’s Own (West Yorkshire) Regt] the perpetuating regiment of today, The Yorkshire Regiment, have no knowledge of this officer. Research continues.
ii. Formed at Penrith, Carlisle, Kendal and Workington on 17 September 1914 by the Earl of Lonsdale and an Executive Committee;; a “Pals” Battalion
iii. Formed at Derby in September 1914 as part of K2 Army Group [Kitchener's New Army].
iv. Formed at Shrewsbury in September 1914 as part of K2 Army Group [Kitchener's New Army].
v. Formed at Shrewsbury in September 1914 as part of K3 Army Group [Kitchener’s New Army].
vi. Formed at Ashton-under-Lyne in August 1914 as part of K1 Army Group [Kitchener’s New Army].
vii. Formed at Canterbury, New Zealand in August 1914 recruiting on a Territorial basis.
viii. Formed at Birmingham in September 1914 by the Lord Mayor and a local committee; a “Pals” Battalion.
ix. Established by a royal warrant signed by King George V on 13 April 1912.
x. Formed on 1 April 1918.
xi. Regular Army battalion.
xii. Formed at Richmond on 30 September 1914, as part of K3 Army Group [Kitchener’s New Army].
xiii. Formed at the outbreak of the war from RN and RM reservists and volunteers who were not needed for service at sea.
xiv. Formed at Cairo on 2 March 1917, from the two dismounted Yeomanry regiments of Cheshire and Shropshire.
xv. Formed at Manchester on 8 November 1914 by the Lord Mayor and City; a “Pals” Battalion.
xvi. Formed in October 1915 in response to the overwhelming need for more effective use of machine guns on the Western Front.
xvii. Formed at 24 St James's Street, London on 1 September 1914 by Lt-Col J.J.Mackay; a “Pals” Battalion.
xviii. Formed at Rhyl on 3 September 1914 by the Denbigh and Flint TF Associations, a “Pals” Battalion.
xix. Formed at Cardiff on 23 October 1914; a “Pals” battalion.
xx. Originally within the remit of the Admiralty before transferring to War Office control on 29 April 1916.
xxi. Formed at Falmouth in November 1914 as part of K4 Army Group [Kitchener’s New Army].
xxii. Formed on 7 November 1914 in Brandon, Manitoba as a mounted infantry unit reverting to dismounted status on 1 January 1916.
xxiii. Formed on 10 July 1915 in Toronto, Ontario.
xxiv. Formed at Leeds in September 1914 by the Lord Mayor and City; a “Pals” battalion.
xxv. Formed at Newport in March 1915 by the Welsh National Executive Committee; a “Pals” battalion.
xxvi. Formed at Shrewsbury in May 1915 [Home Service only].
xxvii. Formal existence under the direction of the Admiralty's Air Department from 1 July 1914 to 1 April 1918.